Everything you need to know about breast implants
Breast augmentation is the most popular plastic surgery in the world.
Most women want a natural breast form that will blend in with their appearance. After making such a decision, you immediately face a lot of questions - where to find a good specialist, which implants should be chosen, how much they cost and etc.
Today, we will reply to you on some of the most common questions about the breast augmentation operation, i.e mammoplasty.
What are breast implants
A breast implant is a prosthesis used to change the size, shape, and contour of a human's breasts. With the help of an implant, which called an endoprosthesis, it is possible not only to increase the size of the breast, but also to change its shape, raise it, and restore the lost volume. After partial or complete removal of the mammary glands caused by the breast cancer (mastectomy), surgeons also successfully perform these operations.
How to choose the best breast implants
The size, brand and shape of breast prostheses can be selected together with a plastic surgeon at a preoperative consultation. To choose the best implant, ask your doctor to pay attention to:
- –Your natural breast size
- –Your height and weight
- –Chest volume
- –Density of the mammary glands
- –Thickness of adipose tissue and skin
Forms of breast endoprostheses
Depending on the shape that the shell holds, implants are:
- –Round - allows you to lift the breasts and create a “push-up” effect, therefore they are suitable for women with bust deformation due to pregnancy, weight loss or age-related changes.
- –Drop-shaped (anatomical implants) - allow you to create the most natural effect, as they correspond to the natural shape of the mammary glands. Often, doctors install them for young girls who do not have sagging.
What are breast implants filled with?
Currently, there are 5 types of breast implants with fillers, with the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved only 2 of them - silicone and saline.
Types of breast implants
This is a silicone bag filled with a solution of seawater (sodium chloride), that is called a "saline solution".
The FDA recommends such implants for breast augmentation for girls from 18 years old, for breast reconstruction after mastectomy for women of any age, and for repeated breast augmentation surgery. Implants are provided to the surgeon in sterile empty bags of various sizes. Saline implants have a special valve through which the solution is injected. Thus, during the operation, surgeons install only the bag itself and only then fill it with sodium chloride.
- –This type of implants allows surgeons to perform surgery through a small incision.
- –Since the saline solution is identical in composition to the liquid produced by our body, in case of damage to the membrane, the saline solution is excreted from the body on its own, without representing any harm to health.
- –In the event of fluid leakage from the implant, manufacturing companies provide its replacement free of charge.
- –Saline implants are almost always located behind the pectoral muscle (chest wall). This placement is slightly more invasive, which increases the recovery process and makes it more uncomfortable, but at the same time creates a better feel and reduces the likelihood of ripples on the surface.
- –If the implant is damaged, it can be deflated in minutes. Thus, it will need to be replaced.
- –If the filling is insufficient, the implant may “gurgle”.
- –Saline implants are less durable than other types.
During manufacturing, this type of endoprostheses is filled with silicone (cohesive) gel. According to the FDA, silicone breast implants are the most studied and have undergone strict safety and quality controls. Approved for insertion for girls from 22 years old, breast reconstruction after mastectomy in women of any age and revision mammoplasty.
Each manufacturer classifies endoprostheses according to the density of their filler (cohesiveness):
- –“soft touch” - the softest silicone;
- –medium cohesive gel;
- –highly cohesive gel.
- –Silicone filler resembles breast tissue, so the breast with such implants does not feel different from natural to the touch.
- –Due to its dense consistency, in case of damage of the silicone endoprosthesis, the gel contained in it does not migrate through the body.
- –To insert silicone prostheses, the surgeon needs to make larger incisions.
- –It is very problematic to detect damage in such implants, as it is asymptomatic. Therefore, it is recommended to make an MRI scan one time in every 2 years.
The hydrogel endoprosthesis today is one of the most modern and safe among the existing ones. It allows you to achieve the maximum effect of natural breasts. Such endoprostheses are filled with natural polymer.
- –The filler of this endoprosthesis is similar in consistency and elasticity to the tissues of a natural breast, which allows to create a natural effect.
- –In case of damage to the implant and migration outside the shell, the gel breaks down into glucose, water and carbon dioxide that are safe for the body and leaves the body on its own.
- –It is extremely rare that the endoprosthesis is overgrown with tissues that can deform it.
- –Lack of FDA certification, which shows poor quality and safety control.
Silicate (B-Lite) implants
These are breast prostheses filled with gel and small hollow silicate balls. For the manufacture of this type of implants, safe, documented, biologically compatible materials have been used for a long time.
- –(B-Lite) implants place less stress on the neck, back and significantly reduce the risk of sagging breasts, as they are 30% lighter than other types of implants.
- –Lightweight implants allow for larger breasts.
- –Silicate endoprostheses are one of the latest developments that have passed the least number of clinical trials than other types of implants. At the moment, there is no exact data on how they will behave 10-15 years after installation.
Do breast implants feel natural to touch?
By the structure of the shell, breast implants can be textured and smooth.
Textured - porous rough
- –Reliably fixed and not displaced, since such a shell provides good adhesion of the prosthesis to the tissues of the gland.
- –Less likely to cause capsular contracture than other species.
- –Increase the risk of skin wrinkling.
- –Harder to the touch than other types.
Smooth - with a flat surface
- –Softer to the touch than textured implants and much less difference from natural breasts.
- –Less durable than textured ones.
- –More often cause capsular contracture.
What are the sizes of implants
Endoprosthesis sizes are measured in milliliters. The first breast size corresponds to a prosthesis with a volume of 150 ml. It is the volume that affects the diameter and convexity of the implants. There are 3 main types of profiles:
- –High profile - the most convex implants, which resemble half balls in shape;
- –Medium profile - flatter dentures;
- –Low profile - flattest implants.
What are the brands of breast implants?
Top Turkish medical centers use the following most popular brands:
Motif are silicone implants equipped with an innovative safety system (a special Q Inside Safety chip) with a patented shell that prevents material migration in case of possible damage to the prosthesis. This minimizes the risk of capsular contracture.
Chip size - no more than a grain of rice. It stores complete information about the endoprosthesis, such as: date of installation, name of the surgeon, technical characteristics, which allows you to get all the necessary data in case of the loss of the documents for the implant.
FDA, CE, ISO certificates confirm quality compliance.
The manufacturer of these products provides a lifetime guarantee against implant rupture and a guarantee against tissue growth for 10 years.
Motiva denture shapes:
- –Anatomical / teardrop - TrueFixation
- –Round and drop-shaped - Ergonomix (ergonomic). They create the most natural effect, as they mimic the natural shape of the breast.
Mentor implants (Johnson & Johnson)
Endoprosthesis Mentor differ with filler and, depending on this, are:
- –Valvular saline - in the form of sterile empty bags, which are filled with saline during the operation. Convenient in that within 6 months from the date of installation, the size can be adjusted upward or downward.
- –Silicone (MemoryGel and MemoryShape) - there are textured and smooth. Thanks to the "memory effect", they return to their original form after mechanical action.
The quality is confirmed by certificates FDA, CE, ISO, the manufacturer provides a 10-year warranty for Mentor implants.
Polytech manufacturers produce silicone and silicate prostheses with ISO and CE quality certificates, of the following types:
- –Microthane - round and anatomical with textured coating, which according to the manufacturer does not cause capsular contracture in 97-100% of cases.
- –POLYtxt - textured prostheses of round and anatomical shape, which is 50% according to Polytech, reduces the risk of tissue growth, in comparison with smooth implants.
- –MESMO sensitive - round and anatomical implants with fine structured coating.
- –POLYsmoooth - round and anatomical smooth implants.
Natrelle are round and anatomical silicone implants with different levels of cohesion, which, due to their special structure, in case of damage, return to their original shape, since the filler does not flow out of the endoprosthesis. Their quality is confirmed by FDA and ISO certificates.
Eurosilicone (GC aesthetics)
Eurosilicone manufactures silicone-filled implants, the quality of which is confirmed by ISO, EU and CE certificates.
Forms of implants produced by Eurosilicone:
- –Round - in 91.5% of cases do not cause capsular contracture and in 99.2% of cases retain their integrity throughout the entire period of use, and come with a smooth and structured surface.
- –Matrix - anatomical (drop-shaped) prostheses with a textured shell or super strong 360 Degree Barrier Layer coating, which (according to the manufacturer's statistics) do not cause capsular contracture in 93.4% of cases, do not displace in 97.7% of cases and 99.8 % of cases retain their integrity.
Nagor (GC aesthetics)
They are ISO, EU and CE certified. Their manufacturer guarantees free replacement of prostheses in the formation of a contracture of 3-4 degrees.
Types of implants Nagor:
- –IMPLEO - round implants with a smooth or medium textured surface.
- –GoGel - anatomical textured dentures.
Implant service life and reasons for its replacement
As a rule, the service life of breast implants is 10-15 years, with rare exceptions - 20-30 years. After a while, it may be necessary to replace them.
The reasons for revision mammoplasty can be:
- –capsular contracture
- –wear of the implants as a result of prolonged use (to prevent damage to its integrity)
- –damage or displacement of the endoprosthesis
- –a woman's desire to change the shape or size of her breasts
At the preoperative consultation, you should clarify all your questions to understand the risks that may arise during revision mammoplasty.
Is it possible to extend the life of a breast prosthesis
There are no factors that accelerate the wear and tear of breast implants. At the same time, it is possible to minimize the risk of their damage, by following this:
- –Avoid chest trauma.
- –Get regular breast examinations (MRI). Check with your plastic surgeon how often this is necessary.
- –Strictly follow the surgeon's recommendations during the rehabilitation period after mammoplasty surgery.
- –Do not agree to a closed capsulotomy (squeezing the breast to rupture overgrown tissue) if capsular contracture is detected.
Myths not worth believing
Breast augmentation surgeries have been performed since 1899. There are many myths that have emerged over these more than 130 years. Today we will refute the most common ones:
Implants provoke breast cancer.The FDA has not listed breast cancer as a potential risk for augmentation mammoplasty.
After mammoplasty, a woman cannot breastfeed.The presence of an endoprosthesis does not affect lactation. But milk production can be disrupted by the milk setting method. Be sure to inform your plastic surgeon about the expected pregnancy. Knowing this, the surgeon will place the implants in the armpit or under the breast, and not, as usually, around the areola. This will eliminate the risk of damage to the milk ducts.
In an aircraft, the implant may explode due to pressure drops.As shown by the FDA study, implants do not explode from changes in atmospheric pressure. Thus, you can not worry when flying on airplanes and diving.
Is the endoprosthesis rupture dangerous for life and health?Since the manufacturer uses materials that have passed strict quality control and safety for the body, the rupture of the endoprosthesis does not pose a danger to human life and health. If the silicone implant ruptures, the gel does not migrate due to its high density and special protective shell. The salt filler is quickly excreted from the body with the lymph flow, and the filler from the bioimplant breaks down into molecules of glucose, water and carbon dioxide.
The need for a lift over time due to sagging breasts.This option is possible when installing a thin girl with very thin skin and too little adipose tissue. Therefore, in order to avoid imbalances in the figure, the smallest implants are installed for miniature girls.
Do not sleep on your stomach after breast augmentation surgery.For some time after breast augmentation, sleeping on your stomach brings some discomfort and pain. After all the tissues are healed and the body is fully recovered, the woman can sleep at her convenience.
Problems that may arise after the installation of implants
Risks for implant placement (augmentation mammoplasty), according to ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) research, may include:
- –damage to the prosthesis
- –incorrect placement of the implant and its displacement over time;
- –pain or discomfort
- –complications after anesthesia
- –violations of the sensitivity of the nipple or breast
- –bleeding and bruising in the area of incisions
- –capsular contracture
- –seroma - accumulation of fluid in the area of the incision
- –folds in the skin
To minimize the risks during the operation, the recovery period and possible complications, you should choose a qualified plastic surgeon and follow his recommendations during the rehabilitation period.
How much cost a breast augmentation?
Today, plastic surgery and, in particular, mammoplasty, have become a relatively affordable pleasure. The average budget for such an intervention in Turkey ranges from $ 3,500 to $ 10,000, and this amount includes all costs. One way or another, high-quality work is always expensive, since self-respecting surgeons and clinics do not save money on anything.
In the process of preparing for mammoplasty, one of the most crucial moments is the choice of breast implants. For the best, most natural result, remember the following:
- –The manufacturer of the implants had to have certificates that confirm their safety and quality: ISO, FDA, CE.
- –When selecting implants, the doctor should take into account your physique - height, weight, hip and waist parameters, chest volume, thickness of skin and adipose tissue.
- –It is necessary to adhere to all the recommendations of the plastic surgeon regarding the rehabilitation period and postoperative examinations.
How to organize mammoplasty in Turkey with Med Advisor?
To organize a breast augmentation operation in one of the Turkish clinics, you must:
- Fill out an application on the website using a special form
- Wait for a response from the medical coordinator, which will be received within 24 hours after sending the application
- Send available medical documents to our email address.
- Get a doctor's consultation for free
- Study the proposed medical programs of several clinics and the prices for breast augmentation surgeries in Turkey, and then choose the best option.
The approximate cost of breast augmentation abroad can be calculated individually for each patient before arriving at the clinic. To do this, you need to use the free online consultation service by filling out the contact form on our website.
We are ready to immediately provide you with professional attention and care, effective and qualified medical assistance. Our consultation center is available to patients and their loved ones around the clock.