Hematology is the area of medicine that deals with the physiology, pathology, etiology, diagnosis and treatment of blood diseases and malignant tumors, including hemophilia, leukemia, lymphoma and sickle cell anemia.
Hematologists concentrate mainly on the lymphatic organs and the bone marrow and can diagnose blood disorders or disorders in the work of platelets. Hematologists treat organs that feed on blood cells, including lymph nodes, spleen, thymus and lymphoid tissue.
A hematologist is a doctor who specializes in blood diseases and is engaged in the prevention, treatment and study of these diseases. His competence includes that part of medicine, which is devoted to the peculiarities of the structure and functioning of the circulatory system, that is, the blood, its organs, the causes and methods of determining blood diseases, methods of preventing such diseases.
Although hematologists work with specialists from various medical and surgical specialties, hematology is most often associated with oncology.
Diagnostic methods used by hematologist
Diagnosis of hematological diseases includes clinical, instrumental, laboratory and genetic research methods. Examination of the lymph nodes - neck, armpits, groin, elbows, knees, tonsils, spleen. Often clarifying information gives myelogram - bone marrow puncture and computed tomography. Abdominal ultrasound of the abdominal organs, lymph node biopsy, immunophenotyping, molecular tests (PCR), MRI, positron emission tomography may be prescribed.
Other hematologic tests include:
- –Analysis of hemochromatosis - iron metabolism (OZHSS - total iron binding capacity of serum, transferrin, ferritin)
- –Analysis revealing hemoglobin forms
- –Analysis revealing the pathology of the structure of red blood cells
- –Biopsy and histology of lymph nodes
- –Bone marrow trepanobiopsy and histology
- –Chest X-ray
- –Computed tomography, MRI
- –Electrophoresis of protein fractions
- –Genetic studies
- –KLA and extensive blood count
- –Myelogram - bone marrow puncture
- –Ultrasonography of peripheral lymph nodes
- –Ultrasound examination of the state of the abdominal organs
- –Multiple myeloma